Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Story telling.

Today is the first time I'm working as a Nurse in a hospital.
Great experience with lots of 'behind the scenes' in the hospital.

I'll not mention much of my patients because it's against the law.
I'll just tell you a funny experience that I encounter.

Story #1
One of the staff nurse came to me holding a bottle,
she said 'Can you open this for me?'
While I was exerted my force to open the super tight cap,
she continued 'Be a man! You can do it!'
I gave up the minute she finish the sentence, because it's really tight.
I passed the bottle to my 'partner' instead,
but she failed to open it too.
Then I got the bottle from my partner's hand and said 'I know of someone who can open the bottle'
I went into my cubicle, and passed the bottle to Ash.
But he failed to open it too.
Then there was this patient who saw the whole scene.
This patient then said 'Let me try it.'
Without much thinking I passed the bottle over to this patient, which was totally insane.
After much twisting of the cap, this patient didn't managed to open.
And when I was above to get hold of the bottle from this patient, this patient did something crazy which totally freaked me out.
This patient tried to hit the brim of the bottle against the cardboard.
Not once but many times.
I tired stop this patient immediately- grabbing hold this patient's hand, I pleaded him not to.
I used my loudest voice that I had and shouted 'Don't!!!' super loudly at him. Not as in the real shouting, I just raised my voice. As you know when you you are anxious, you're not your normal self and tend to do operate sub-consciously.
Then there was another patient who told me off that. That patient said that I should let the patient who is holding the bottle this patient do it, the patient is experienced.
I'm like experienced in what?! If the bottle is broken, I'm in deep shit. Deep diarrhea in fact.
Then my 'don't don't' shouting keep going on and on till I totally broke down and operated by my sub-conciousness. The last thing that I should do was to release my hand from the bottle, but I did. By the time I'm half kneeing down on the floor and my whole body was filled with cold swear and.
In the end, this patient managed to open the bottle.

Story#2
The patient who told me off wanted a cup of coffee, and I totally have no idea how to make coffee. The coffee in the hospital was made traditionally, no 3-in-1 coffee or what so ever. I dragged Ash along with me into the tea room, and we were like in the lab testing the chemicals there. We're not sure how many spoons of coffee powder to put, how many spoons of sugar, how many spoons of milk powder. The coffee we made was bitter like.... the coffee that won Guinness Word Record for the bitterest coffee( if there's one). But one of the staff nurse happened to pass by the tea room, and we called for help.
In the end, the patient got to drink the safe coffee.

Story#3
When the time is nearing nine pm, I got so restless and went to other people's cubicle.
There was this patient from Ash's cubicle, wanted to pass urine.
One of the patient's relative waved us there.
The relative said this patient need to pass urine.
Then I faced Ash and questioned him that this patient is not bed-bounded right?
Then the relative said so this patient need the urinal...(the relative used the gestures to draw over shape).
And I was like 'Okay.', and my thoughts was I'm not the nurse-in-charge, I'm just asking, and i know a urinal.
Then I brought the urine bottle over, and screened the patient.
When the patient is done, I tried to get the urinal from the patient's hand. The patient stopped me and said that __ wanted to show the relatives that ___ passed urine.
FUNNY!

Hope will not be sue because of the post.
I didn't mention any names, please don't sue me.
End of my story. Goodbye.

No comments: